What are some of your favorite books? Illustrators? Cartoonists? Authors? Etc…

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Rebecca Bowling 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hello everyone! Hope that the interaction picks up as we go along here with the forums. They are here so that we can open up communication, share ideas, share progress, or simply talk about our favorite books, authors, illustrators, cartoonists, etc. Guess I will share mine to start this out. Maybe you could share yours too?

Edward Gorey is at the top of my list. I was first introduced to his books back in 2011 while at the University of Kentucky. Was heading home from class one day when I saw this flyer for “Gorey Stories”. Theatre is cool sometimes I suppose, so I thought I would give this play a chance. Little did I realize at the time, but “Gorey Stories” was a play centered around the books and writings of Edward Gorey. Learned later than Edward Gorey himself came down to UK to watch the play way back when during the first season it was produced (early 1990’s). After that, I was hooked.

Gorey’s style was pen and ink. He used nib points that he dipped in an inkwell. Very tedious work. His cross-hatching with lines are something to check out. I like his work so much that I tried to re-produce one of his most famous characters; ‘The Doubtful Guest’. After I completed it, I mailed it to the “Edward Gorey Museum” up in Massachusetts. They said it looked a lot like his work, and they hung it up there in the museum so guests can see it!

Some of my other favorite are: Tony DiTerlizzi, Hilary Price, Kate Feiffer, Ron Mazellan, Maurice Sendak, G. Brian Karas, Eric Carle, and Jerry Pinkney.

Let’s open up this forum for talking about your favorite illustrators, cartoonists, authors, etc. Just leave a comment below!

Bruce Parsons
    Keymaster

It’s been a while since I’ve read it but Nate Powell’s “Swallow Me Whole” is a great book.

http://bit.ly/1x24D0b

I also think Jeff Lemire’s art style and storytelling technique is top notch, especially the “Essex County” series.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Lemire

Sarah Howard
    Participant

The many works written and illustrated by the late Beatrix Potter, including:
    The Tale of Peter Rabbit
    The Tale of Benjamin Bunny
    The Tale of Jemima Puddleduck
    etc.

My favorite cartoonist is the late Walt Disney.

I completely forgot about Potter! She’s on my list too for sure.

Rebecca Bowling
    Participant

Favorite books:
    The Watson’s Go To Birmingham, Bud, Not Buddy, Elijah of Buxton, author Christopher Paul Curtis
    The One and Only Ivan, by Katherine Applegate
    The Queen of Kentucky and Wildflower by Alecia Whitaker
    Tales of a fourth grade nothing, Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great, by Judy Blume
    When You Reach Me, by Rebecca Stead
    Three Times Lucky by Shelia Turnage
    The Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins
    Wonder by R.J. Palacio
    Frindle, No Talking, by Andrew Clements
    Charley, Did you Carry the Flag Today? By Rebecca Caudill
    Love Jan Brett’s books and illustrations!
    These are just a few of my favorites!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.