Bridges Out of Poverty Training

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Danielle 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Cassandra Akers
    Participant

Registration for Bridges Out of Poverty training scheduled for Tuesday, February 27th is below. All Community Engagement Coaches are required to attend.

https://goo.gl/forms/8WuvYw9XHYLHLRE03

Cassandra Akers
    Participant

Each counties asset list, as compiled by you during the training, is attached.

The Bridges Out of Poverty training was a day well spent. The resources by Ruby Payne were well received. Activities made you really think about the students we serve and come in contact with on a daily basis. Reminded me of the beginning of school where all Lee County educators and staff were required to ride a bus and travel the routes that the students travel to and from school. Bus drivers pointed out homes of the students who lived on the route. Observed more poverty homes than middle class on the route I traveled. Some of the students were on the bus a good hour before getting to school.

Cassandra Akers
    Participant

Yes, it does make you think. The bus ride experience is good because it allows adults to see where students come from and see what they have to experience daily to just get to school. Thank you for sharing that experience.

Jerri Turner
    Participant

The Bridges Out of Poverty Training was especially beneficial to FRYSC Coordinators. We work with families consistently throughout the school year. The training is a good reminder of the diversity of family units within our school community.

Cassandra Akers
    Participant

Yes it is Jerri, I’m sure you see this every day. Hopefully this reminder will assist you as you work with these families daily!

Jerri Turner
    Participant

Jeanette, having teachers/staff get familiar with where a student lives is a wonderful activity and should be practiced at every school.

Teresa
    Participant

Jeanette, I love this idea for all Teachers but more importantly for those new Teachers who might be unfamiliar to the area. I’ve thought it would also be nice to get a bus load of Teachers before school begins to run the route(s) and stop at selected places and get off the bus and cheer with a chant to welcome them back to school. Not only do you get to experience their time on the bus and where they live but it also provides a positive connection with those Families.

jburchett
    Participant

Enjoyed the training made some real personal discoveries during this training. Looking forward to the next event.

Cassandra Akers
    Participant

The Bridges Out of Poverty PPT and handouts can be found under the Media section above as well under the Training section of act.theholler.org

Nicki Caudill
    Participant

Jeanette, our principal did the same thing with us many years ago. It really opened my eyes to living situations that I had never imagined students experiencing. Very sad, actually.

Nicki Caudill
    Participant

I can’t wait to dig in to the reading materials over spring break! The training was an eye-opening exposure to living situations that my students may be in that shape them into citizens with interests and needs much different that the “typical” student.

Cassandra Akers
    Participant

Yes Nicki, it does make you think. Sometimes seeing their home situations really makes you have a better understanding of the kids around you and better understand their barriers to school/learning.

Danielle
    Participant

I really enjoyed Bridges Out of Poverty. It was actually my favorite training of the year–aside from the Strategic Communication Workshop run by John Trybus back in November. I really felt like it helped to put a lot of things into perspective for me, and really gave me a lot to think about in terms of how I approach these issues not only in my classroom, but also outside of it.

Nicki, same! I am also excited to sit down and read through the materials in a more thorough manner, although I probably won’t get the chance until summer begins. I think it will be a really good experience.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.