Question Formulation Technique Training

This topic contains 19 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Danielle 1 year ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Cassandra Akers
    Participant

Materials for QFT Training can be found under Media on this holler.
    Please respond to the following questions after the training on January 25th:
    1. What are your QFT Reflections?
    2. Outline a year-long plan for QFT Training at your school?
    3. Please remember and address the following as you plan your trainings:
    A. Goals of QFT Training at your school.
    B. Anticipated barriers you may face from your stakeholders.
    C. Dates, Presenters, Facilities, Advertising, Food, etc.

Melissa Pennington
    Participant

1. I didn’t know that QFT was that flexing of a strategy and that it could be used with parents.
    2. We need time to complete this. First, teachers need to be trained in QFT. Many are, but may be uncomfortable using it at this stage.
    3. Eventually we’d like to use this with our parents and community members.

Tia Botner
    Participant

1. I think parents are concerned but they don´t know how to ask the right questions. In our QFT training, I learned that we can help parents/community members engage in questioning that helps us work together for a common purpose. QFT helped me think about community engagement from the ¨mediators¨ point of view.
    2. Iḿ Working on the outline.

Cassandra Akers
    Participant

This will take time, as Melissa points out. I do think that teachers need an introductory training in the process. Please let me know if you need any assistance as you move forward. We will talk briefly at the February 27th Bridges Out of Poverty training. You may be able to combine the trainings for staff at your school prior to rolling out QFT to the community.

Nicki Caudill
    Participant

1. What are your QFT Reflections?

I had never thought of using Question Formulation Technique beyond my classroom with students. I love the idea of somehow shortening the process to use with parents. Spending 15 minutes simply formulating questions alone with one parent (not counting answering them) is not realistic for me. I’d love more suggestions on how QFT can be used with stakeholders, so I will do some digging online and on replies to this forum.

2. Outline a year-long plan for QFT Training at your school?

I believe I need more information on other uses of formulating questions before we do any formal training with school personnel. Dates, facilities, presenters won’t be a problem, as our district professional development director is very flexible and accommodating. Right now, I’m just not sure what needs QFT training would satisfy. Again, I plan on doing more research on applications of QFT in the schools and will update our roll out plan later.

Cassandra Akers
    Participant

Nicki
    The 15 minute time frame was a sample breakdown of the whole process with any individual parent. 5 of the 15 total minutes is dedicated to producing questions. I have a sample timeframe for 7 minutes also with individual parents. It is posted in the media portion of this page.

Teaching the process to all staff members would help them realize that parents and caregivers need assistance to participate in the educational process with and for their kids. Remember the beginning of QFT, looking into WHY parents don’t come to schools. The answer was because they don’t feel prepared to or know what questions to ask. The QFT process, when utilized with parents will empower them and hopefully encourage more with their kids and school. That’s what we are hoping to promote.

Let me know if you need anything and check that sample timeframe form for individuals and groups.

Teresa
    Participant

Brenda and I agree that this training is worthwhile and can be successful. We discussed that each of us could benefit doing this as a district team so that we can be responsible for a portion of the training and feel less stressed about taking it on with just one or two persons.

Cassandra Akers
    Participant

Great! Let me know if you need help with the planning process.

Danielle
    Participant

I really enjoyed the QFT Training. I had a general (but very vague) idea of what it was prior to going, but left with a really solid understanding of it. I’m planning to do it with some of my classes in the near future–I’ll have to drop by the forum again to give everyone an update on how it goes.

Like many of the other responders stated, I definitely want to look into it a bit more and take some time to figure out how to approach the training. I think my first step is actually going to be to find out who else in my building has QFT training. I was alone at the training that we all attended, so it would be really nice to be able to team up with someone–or multiple someones–like Teresa suggested above. I think it would take some of the pressure off of being responsible for the entire training. I’ll update the plan later as I solidify what/when/how I’ll be approaching things. I’m excited to get started!

Teresa
    Participant

Cassandra is working on this for me as well but I would like to know, from you all as well, if any Teachers are using the QFT process within the classroom with students and how this is different/same as doing this with Parents/Community.

Andrea Parsons
    Participant

This technique is great for the classroom. We have trouble getting most parents to come into our building. I hope that by working with parents, helping them with questions, and providing them with answers, we can come together with solutions for student success.

Andrea Parsons
    Participant

For a year long plan we would need to practice this technique in the training we provide to our staff. Once the staff is comfortable, we would need to offer opportunities for parents to attend our schools to implement the technique. The first would be open house before the beginning of school. Other opportunities throughout the year would be midterm open houses, and parent/teacher conferences.

Cassandra Akers
    Participant

Thanks Mrs. Parsons. It is a good idea to ensure the staff is familiar with the process themselves prior to moving forward. Remember that you can do QFT with a parent one on one if needed. Individual or groups of parents/community people need to be taught “how” to participate so that they are more willing to come into our schools and provide assistance. This process is excellent for removing barriers to parent/community participation.

Jerri Turner
    Participant

The Question Formulation Technique was new to me as I was unfamiliar with the process. I did find it easy to follow with the steps we used in training. I am not so sure I could lead the process with a different type of example. I would like to read up on the method a little more. I plan to ask the entire staff who has used the method with students or have received prior training. I am aware that the technique is used in some classrooms. After this I can make plans for further training.

Cassandra Akers
    Participant

There is a document that gives guidelines for individual and group QFT timelines. We are hoping you can teach staff to use the format with parents/community members. This can be done in either setting. We can help. Let me know and we can plan to get together and plan what needs presented to the staff.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.