INTRODUCTION TO THE 10 INTERDISCIPLINARY LITERACY PRACTICES (18 mins)
• Understanding the purpose and function of the practices
• Appropriate for K-12
• Resources Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oUkq0KkCBmCD_AF2r7oULu8j8ss8tTXJ?usp=sharing
INTERDISCIPLINARY LITERACY PRACTICE #1 (32 mins)
Recognize that text is anything that communicates a message.
• Expand traditional knowledge about text to include visual, auditory & digital sources
• Use sources across disciplines to provide increasingly rigorous opportunities for students to interpret messages communicated through different med…[Read more]
INTERDISCIPLINARY LITERACY PRACTICE #2 (29 mins)
Employ, develop, and refine schema to understand create text.
• Through the use of multiple texts and interdisciplinary content, activate students’ schema. Provide opportunities for developing new connections, applying specialized vocabulary and reflecting on new understandings
• Appropriate for K…[Read more]
INTERDISCIPLINARY LITERACY PRACTICE #3 (30 mins)
View literacy experiences as transactional, interdisciplinary, and transformational.
• When students’ literacy experiences cross traditional disciplinary boundaries, their knowledge is expanded and relevant
• Students’ interactions with text become transformational when they are motivated to purs…[Read more]
INTERDISCIPLINARY LITERACY PRACTICE #4 (30 mins)
Utilize receptive and expressive language arts to better understand self, others and the world. View literacy experiences as transactional, interdisciplinary, and transformational.
• Experiencing both receptive (i.e., listening, reading and viewing) and expressive (i.e., speaking, writing and v…[Read more]
INTERDISCIPLINARY LITERACY PRACTICE #5 (38 mins)
Apply strategic practices, with scaffolding and then independently, to approach new literacy tasks.
• Help students to strategically approach literacy tasks in order to make intentional decisions about when, where and how to apply thinking and learning processes
• Independence and tra…[Read more]
Ron Daley wrote a new post, Jackson City School District Is Small But Students Have Big Ideas For Community, on the site The Holler 4 weeks, 1 day ago
Jackson Independent School District students in Breathitt County are excited about their community’s future and expressed their desire to create their own jobs. And, while the J.D. Vance book “Hillbilly Eleg […]
Composition Video Resources Link:
KAS: COMPOSITION (60 mins)
Begin with the End in Mind: Student Thesis Statements Made Simple + MORE!
• Writing skills imperative for helping students increase the quality of a timed or untimed written response (short answer, on-demand, essay, etc.) in ALL subject areas
• Appropriate for K-12; Middle/High example shared
KAS for Reading and Writing Video Series: EPISODES 1-5 RESOURCES LINK:
Eastern Kentucky middle school students demonstrated their entrepreneurial and creative abilities during the 2019 Regional Entrepreneurial Competition held in Knott County showing their potential to help grow the […]
Ron Daley wrote a new post, Rural Educators form Kentucky Chapter to Strengthen Collaboration during National Meeting in Louisville, on the site The Holler 4 months ago
Kentucky K-12 educational leaders increased their voice and power of collaboration by establishing a state chapter and joining the National Rural Education Association (NREA) last week in Louisville.
For most […]
EPISODE #5 (24 mins)
KAS for Reading and Writing: Spotlight on Early Literacy-The Reading Foundational Skills
Goal: Build a shared understanding of:
• Spotlight on Early Literacy: Reading Foundational Skills
• Importance of the instructional implications for K-3 standards
EPISODE #4 (26 mins)
KAS for Reading and Writing: Revisions to Note
Goal: Build a shared understanding of:
• how changes in the KAS for Reading and Writing will affect K-5 instructional practices
• how changes have increased rigor of some standards
- Load More