• I implemented ZooPhonics in the resource room with kindergarten and first grade students with disabilities. The phonics program uses animals to help children remember the shapes and sounds of the letters, in addition to body movements for each animal letter. I implemented the program in the resource room using Direct Instruction, songs, and games.…Read More

  • Perry County Central High School and UK team up to test the air quality in their region.

    Particulate Matter - What's That?

    Perry County Central High School and UK team up to test the air quality in their region.

    Read More
  • A great assessment strategy I use is to follow up any summative with student analysis so they will take ownership of their performance. Formative assessments are used throughout lessons to guide instruction.

    1 Comment
    • I love this strategy. I’ve recently started with data notebooks for our weekly target checks in grammar. Students have to keep up with their original scores and the retakes and analyze their progress in each skill. I’m hoping to be able to incorporate this with on-demand writing as well.

  • My biggest concern regarding rich curriculum after reviewing the Academic Course Codes is the requirement of staffing for my school. Our financial situation in our district does not allow for more staffing to support the suggested courses. Our school will do the best we can to meet the requirements through creative scheduling.

    3 Comments
    • Yes, one of the biggest concerns of Opportunity and Access is the available resources and the differences from district to district. Whole Child Supports was eliminated after the first federal review asked that schools not have a choice in what services they chose for accountability. The committee wanted all to be required. KDE elected to omit…Read More

      • Thanks Johnny! If anyone has any suggestions as to how our district can meet these goals with limited staffing, please share!

        • I agree… we are constantly being asked to do more with less. My only suggestion that is realistic is to use teacher talents and strengths and use those to maximize these goals.

  • Load More Posts